Saturday, August 31, 2013

5 years of college, 2 years in nursing school, graduation, NCLEX, now what? A job????

Its been a few weeks since my last post but since then I've been kind of in a slump, I was still waiting for any news on the job front and in the mean time still applying for several jobs a day and trying to find any network connections to maybe help in the job hunt process. So in the last two (almost three) weeks I've spent a good portion of my time laying in bed watching private practice on netflix, by the way if you like grey's anatomy you really should check out private practice. I interviewed in early August in Tennessee and was told they would contact me on August 26th with their decision regarding the position. I'm an incredibly impatient person so waiting 2+ weeks for an answer was really worse than waiting for death. So while waiting impatiently for the news I continued to apply for jobs and hope for the best. Early morning on the 26th (remember TN is 2 hours ahead of my time) I woke up to my dogs running along the bed jumping on my legs. As my daily ritual includes I woke up and checked my phone, twitter, facebook, email, instagram, ect. I wasn't expecting them to have an answer to me till at least the afternoon so to my surprise I already had an email from the hospital around 0730 my time (0930 there).

And to an even bigger surprise.... I GOT THE JOB!!!!! I was so ecstatic but I was still half asleep (and had a full bladder) I told my mom let the dogs out, used the restroom, ate breakfast, gathered my thoughts and finally called them back to accept the position. I accepted a full time position, night shift, on a mother baby (postpartum) unit. I'll be starting at the end of September but will be moving out there in just about a week to have paperwork and screenings completed.

I had a great idea for a post about going back to nursing school and what I think are important things to know/remember/have. I spent this past week scheduling my stuff to be shipped out there, moving my stuff into the box to have it shipped and trying to find a place to live. I had to pick a place off of reviews, photos, and speaking to the management.  I think I picked a nice place, great for the dogs, plenty of space and in a good area of the city. I'm hoping in the next week before I leave I will be able to get the back to nursing school post up if not I will do it in the 10 days between my screenings and my official start date.

I'm excited for this opportunity, it feels like all my insane hard work, dedication, and stress has finally paid off. I will be working for a great hospital with great credentials and a great program for new grads. I am very thankful for this upcoming new life, its a bundle of anxiousness, excitement, fear, and joy all rolled into one. I can't say it has been an easy road but I can say it was worth it!!


2 comments:

  1. congrats!!!!
    i'm almost done with my nurse residency in the nicu then nclex and job apps aplenty !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I continued to apply for jobs and hope for the best. Lam Wah Ee Nursing College

    ReplyDelete